At Arthur Street Dental, we want you to enjoy your time and your athletics, but we want you to be safe while participating.
A sports guard, also called a mouthguard, helps protect your smile from trauma during sporting activities, rough play, or when working with unpredictable machinery.
About Mouthguards in Coffs Harbour
You can purchase a mouthguard in your local shop, but the chances of it fitting correctly and protecting your teeth and gums from sports-related injuries or other traumas may be small. Additionally, it may rub against your cheeks and gums, creating irritation, speech difficulties and even interfere with breathing.
At Arthur Street Dental, your dentist in Coffs Harbour custom designs your mouthguard after taking an impression of your mouth. We then create a protective appliance that fits the contours of your teeth and gums, allowing for a snug but not uncomfortable fit.
Your sports guard in Coffs Harbour creates a safe zone between potential injuries and your teeth and gums.
Taking Care of Your Appliance
You want your mouthguard to last for a long time, and to achieve this, we recommend the following:
- Rinse your appliance with cool water after use—mild soap or a soft toothbrush is also okay.
- Avoid exposing your sports guard to extreme temperatures.
- Bring your appliance to dental visits so your dentist can check it for damage or deterioration.
- Store your mouthguard in a ventilated container, and ask your dentist if it should be soaked in water.
- If you notice cracks or damage, contact your Coffs Harbour dentist for instructions.
Depending on your mouthguard, your dentist may provide more specific tips for use and storage.
We Encourage You to Protect Your Smile from Trauma
If you would like more information about our custom mouthguards, or if you're ready to arrange a consultation and fitting, we welcome your call.