Do you or someone you know have missing or badly damaged teeth? When teeth suffer damage, the restoration options can be challenging to decipher, especially if you haven’t visited the dentist for a while.
Whilst this may sound concerning, our team at Arthur Street Dental have experience restoring smiles! And we keep patients comfortable and informed before undertaking any procedure.
What Is a Dental Crown?
Dental crowns cover an existing tooth that needs reinforcement. A crown can help mitigate oral problems due to structural issues, damage, cosmetic appearance and other problems where the existing tooth causes discomfort in your daily life. A few details about crowns include:
- Crowns are custom made.
- They precisely fit over an existing tooth after shaping to accommodate the crown.
- They consist of various materials, including porcelain, metal, glass or ceramic.
- Crowns protect weak, cracked, and discoloured teeth from incurring more damage.
- They improve chewing.
- Crowns alleviate pain caused by damaged teeth.
What Is a Dental Bridge?
To span the gap left by a missing tooth, one option that our Coffs Harbour dentists employ is called a ‘dental bridge.’ Our dentists generally file down and shape the teeth on either side of a gap to accommodate dental crowns and place a dental bridge. Afterwards, these crowns can support an artificial tooth that fits in between them and fills the smile gap.
Dental Crowns Compared to Dental Bridges
These procedures are similar in that both require assessment before any work occurs. The patient’s gums and jaw must be in suitable condition before undertaking this treatment. But for a basic comparison:
- Dental crowns cover and support a single tooth.
- Dental bridges consist of two dental crowns with an artificial tooth in between to cover the gap left by a lost or removed tooth.
Contact Our Dental Practice
If you have more questions about dental crowns or bridges, we welcome you to contact our dental practice, and we look forward to hearing from you!